Thursday, August 9, 2007

Public Restroom Etiquette

Ok, so let’s begin by defining a public restroom. To me, a public restroom is any facility not in a home. This can encompass quite a large demographic, so for the purposes of making my point, I’ll narrow this definition by specifying only those restrooms in offices. You know which ones I’m talking about… they usually have between tree and eight stalls, a few sinks, and usually a full length mirror. Now that I have clearly defined exactly what type of restrooms I’m talking about…let’s proceed.

I want to address those women who have no idea about personal boundaries. For example… when I am using a public bathroom, I tend to go to one of the end stalls so that I can have just a little privacy. Ladies…what is the deal with having to come into the very next stall, regardless of the fact that there are an additional 6 stalls you could have chosen. Why do some women feel it necessary to have the close-warm-fuzzy violation of my personal space IN A PUBLIC RESTROOM? And then to top it off….SHUT UP! I did not come in here to converse with you. In addition, you are assuming that I even know who you are. Personally, I don’t go around looking at women’s shoes all day just so that I can identify you when you are compelled to sit right next to me in the restroom.

Then there is the “make-up and hair girls”. Here is a hint: If you walk into the office restroom and notice that there is a closed stall door but no noise, PLEASE have the decency to do what you need to do quickly and silently and then LEAVE. You know who you are, Ladies. Did it ever occur to you that that one woman, who is silently praying for you to leave so she can proceed, is attempting to feel a little better and needs some privacy? It should not take you ten minutes to play with your hair and make-up while there is a poor woman in a stall holding it in and waiting for you to leave.

So, after having this conversation with my ever-so-eloquent brother (Who enlightened me with the Men’s restroom rule: The Courtesy Flush), I decided to just vent it out for a moment and remind people that the restroom is not a place for socializing. Nor is it a place to invade personal space. Get in, get done, and get out. Silently. Please.

No comments: