Thursday, September 6, 2007

Popsidoodle

Today is my Dad's birthday. Unfortunately, he is physically no longer with us to receive the five million phone calls from his children and grandchildren. This is my first experience of not being able to call him, as he left us last November. I didn't think it would bother me too much: we stopped exchanging presents quite a few years ago. But I am finding myself missing him more than ever today.

Dad was tough on us, so we thought. He was the consummate Marine. However, this man loved his children and grandchildren dearly, and he absolutely and proudly adored his wife. As we all love and adore him.

So today, I wanted to share a little about my Dad (this is an excerpt from his Eulogy):

Almost everything you know about my dad was learned by his example. He was courageous, passionate, funny, and loyal. His love was completely unconditional and without remorse. He was a noble man who always wanted to do right.

His values, learned in the Marine Corps, never faltered or weakened. He believed in his God, Family, Country, and of course, the Corps. It's all he ever really held on to. It’s all he needed to believe in and he passed that along in everything that he did….to his friends, to his fellow Marines, and most importantly, to his family.

He thankfully married my mother. It really was a forgone conclusion. From that day onward, there was nothing else in this world that could break his connection with her. She was his everything, surpassing even the Corps. In the era where people gave up easily, my parents stuck through it all. They went on to create a family and a life.

And the best of him is sitting here with us today. My brother, who carries my father’s noble and courageous qualities; My sister, who carries the incredible ability to reach into and feel compassion for everyone she touches; and me.

My Dad was tougher than John Wayne, and funnier than Jerry Lewis. How on earth can I put into words what my father was to me? "Say what you mean, and mean what you say", "Familiarity breeds contempt", "What comes around, goes around", and especially "I'll do anything once" were all things that he continuously said while I was growing up. And he lived by them. His influence on us, and especially me, made a tremendous impact on our lives. He was steadfast in his beliefs and his opinions.

All his grandchildren adored their Grandfather. They will all hold their memories of their grandfather in a very special place. As much as my brother and I declare that it wasn’t fair, all the grandkids had my Dad wrapped around their fingers. And Dad loved it.

Dad always had a story. Many of which became bigger and better throughout the years. We grew up with everything from firefighter stories to Vietnam tales to the eternal tours of duty on the USS Guam. My favorites were how he won a bet by getting a date with my Mom, and how he got busted in rank for stealing telephone poles from the army.

Summer vacations included endless camping in North Carolina, visits to his beloved Capital (Washington), and who can ever forget the drive to Central America. We will always get to trump everyone for the “what I did on my summer vacation” stories, thanks to Mom and Dad.

All of his stories and adventures will live on through us. He will not be forgotten…he wouldn’t have that.

You see, he is still here with us and will always be. We are a reflection of him.

So this day is yours, Popsidoodle. This world is a much less colorful place without you. Semper Fi.

MSGT Clyde W. Sullivan, USMC, Ret.
Sept. 6, 1937 - November 1, 2006

2 comments:

Sgt said...

May we all strive to leave such great memories and impact for those around us as this great man!

Happy Birthday and Semper Fi Father of KatiaSul!

Ima Wurdibitsch said...

I wish I'd had the chance to meet him, Katia. He sounds like an amazing person.